Friday in the Kitchen




Friday in the Kitchen is about sharing some of the food I've been cooking in my kitchen recently.



Stretching Out Dinner
On my menu this week was Hawaiian BBQ Taco's. So I made them on Tuesday. They were delicious! We really enjoyed them. I started by making the pineapple slaw that goes with them. It was not only a meal that tasted it good it was pretty as well!

The slaw...




I used my Instant Pot to make the chicken. I found with the liquid amounts in this crockpot recipe I did not have to add any extra liquid to my IP. I used chicken thighs and cooked them for 12 minutes. They were perfect. I cut the recipe for the meat and sauce in half as I was only feeding 3 of us.

The tacos..




We ate up all the meat for dinner that night. So the next night I still had quite a bit of the slaw left and decided to make the same meal again only using pork. This worked well as I was cutting up a 15 pound pork roast for the freezer and used about 2 pounds of that for our dinner. I whipped up the same sauce and let the IP do it's magic :).

The tacos were just as wonderful with pork on the second night.

The third night, I had only a little slaw left and still had pork meat left. So this time I decided to make rice. I took some of the leftover coconut milk I had (from making the slaw) and cut up a couple green onions and chopped up some cilantro for this and cooked it in my IP.



I served the leftover pork with the rice smothered in the sauce for dinner. I made a green salad and topped our salad servings with the last of the slaw.


The flavors in these meals was so good and we enjoyed it for 3 nights with enough of a twist that we did not tire of it.

Tonight we are moving onto shrimp scampi (and finishing up the leftover coconut rice! :)


Coconut Rice in the Instant Pot

2 cups rice (I use the cup that came with the IP. It's a little larger then a standard cup, but using a standard cup with the recipe works too)
1t salt
2 green onions, sliced
2 to 3T chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups water (use the same cup you measured the rice with)
½ cup coconut (the type from the can)


Rinse your rice for a couple minutes in cold water. Put in the Instant Pot. Add salt, green onions, cilantro, water and coconut milk. Stir it around a bit. Put the lid on, turn the knob on the top to “Sealing”. Press the “Manual” button and sit the time for 10 minutes. When the time is up, let the rice sit for about 10 minutes before releasing pressure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub