One Ham, Five Meals


My Menu for the week has a couple of changes in it due to having more leftover ham than I had thought I would have.  Here is how I ended up with 5 meals from my ham.

On Easter I baked a large bone-in ham that I had purchased from Costco. It was about 13 to 15lbs.

The first meal was baked ham that we had on Easter….


The second meal was the next night, we had leftovers of the exact same meal. On that night we finished off all the side dishes of the Easter meal, except the ham.

By Tuesday it was time to cut up and divide up the rest of the ham. I cut up most of the meat and ended up with almost 8 cups of meat. I then put the bone that still had meat attached to it and all its juices into a gallon size zip lock bag and labeled it for the freezer.


I then made Baked Macaroni & Cheese with ham. I sautéed some sliced onions in butter and added 3 generous cups of ham to it and heat it up. Then I assembled the rest of the meal, adding the ham/onions to the macaroni. I baked it according to the recipe. I made a salad to go with this.




Here is the recipe for the mac & cheese..

Baked Macaroni and Cheese
3 cups whole wheat macaroni, cooked (I had some veggie pasta that I used instead and added about 4 cups of pasta since this was our main dish and not a side dish)
3 cups milk
4 cups grated cheddar cheese, reserve 1 cup to sprinkle on the top
3 eggs
2 t salt (or according to taste) (since ham is already salty I cut the salt in half to 1t)
1 t pepper (or according to taste)

Put cooked macaroni in a 9x13 pan. Combine milk, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix very well and pour over macaroni. Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!


The 4th dinner was Crockpot Sweet Potatoes & Ham Soup. I peeled and chopped up about 2lbs of sweet potatoes and used the remaining ham in the recipe (3+ cups)..

here is the recipe..

Crockpot Sweet Potatoes & Ham Soup
3 to 4 cups chopped, cooked ham
2lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (14oz)
2 cans green beans (I used 1 quart of my home canned green beans), do not drain
¼ cup Sucanat or brown sugar
1T chili powder
1t cumin
salt & pepper to taste (I found this did not need any extra salt added as ham is salty)

Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook for about 6 to 8 hours on low or until the sweet potatoes are tender.


I served this meal tonight with a green salad and homemade biscuits.


Finally the 5th dinner (which I have not made yet, it is on the menu for Sunday) is Navy Bean Soup. I will use the ham bone and add all the juices as well to the beans when I cook the beans. I have made this meal many, many times and it is a family favorite. You can find the recipe for this one here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/navybeansoup.htm
 

Comments

  1. Hi Crystal,
    I just love reading your blog. Great going on your Easter ham...making it go so far with many meals.
    Love ya my friend,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal
    I just tried the macaroni casserole for supper and it was a big hit! I always make this casserole after we have ham, but I make a white sauce, instead of just milk and eggs. It was a different texture, but totally delicious. Plus we have extra eggs from our chickens and it's nice to have another way to use them. God bless you,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it!! I love hearing reviews! I've used the white sauce before.. and funny thing is I don't really like the texture of it made with white sauce.. :) plus this recipe is just so easy to make!

      Crystal :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

All messages are moderated. After approval your message will be posted. Thank you for your comments!! Crystal :)

Popular posts from this blog

Canning Cabbage

Canning Chicken Noodle-less Soup

Dishwasher Soap Sub